Support Services staff supports all families on an as-needed basis. The team includes a special education teacher, an occupational therapist, a reading specialist, a speech pathologist, a psychologist, and other support as needed. The team collaborates with classroom teachers to evaluate student needs and develop a plan of support. The services offered may be short term or extend for the entire school year. Concerns range from academic, behavioral, or emotional challenges. A committee made of support services staff and regular classroom teachers, helps to determine interventions in an attempt to meet student needs before a special education referral is necessary.
- Teaming with classroom teachers to support struggling readers
- Supporting teachers in challenging advanced students
- Instructing individual students or small groups of students who have more intensive reading needs
- Assessing student reading
- Providing general support of literacy, K4 through grade 8.
Special Education services strive to provide support that will lead to the best possible service for all children, helping them attain success at school.
- Support to students with special needs and to their classroom teachers
- Support within the classroom including academic assistance to special education students and regular education students
- Help for the teachers and parents of special education students in developing an Individual Education Plan (IEP) to address significant student needs through pull-out and/or in-class learning activities
The Speech/Language Pathologist works collaboratively with Support Services, School staff, and parents/caregivers to address students’ speech or language needs that impede their academic, vocational, or social success addressing concerns of:
- Speech sound development & intelligibility
- Receptive and expressive language skills
- Social use of language
School Psychologist provides the following services:
- Coordinates supportive services
- Consultation with parents and staff on students’ academic, emotional, social, and behavioral needs
- Psychological assessment
- Completion of special education and related documentation